18th Annual Utah Suzuki Convention
Feb. 5-6, 2015
Utah Suzuki Convention Saturday Schedule:
Saturday Feb. 6, 2016, 8:00 AM-3:00 PM (Group Class workshop ends at 4:00 PM)
American Preparatory Academy Draper #211938 S. Lone Peak ParkwayDraper, UT 84020
For a Class Schedule and Descriptions click here.
Special Teacher Workshops (All instruments):
Group Class Techniques Workshop
with Carey Beth Hockett
February 5-6, 2016
Friday, Feb. 5 11:00-5:00 Holladay City Hall (4580 South 2300 East, Holladay, UT 84117)
Saturday, 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM at American Preparatory Academy Draper #2 (11938 S. Lone Peak Parkway, Draper, UT 84020)
(Saturday 8:00-10:00, Instrument meetings and keynote address. The GCT workshop is 10:00-4:00)
A group class is a dynamic social context in which many aspects of music making can be explored efficiently and enjoyably. In this special workshop, Carey Beth Hockett will present tools and tactics to help teachers get more out of groups. Participants will learn how to make every child feel an integral part of the group, how to involve parents, and how to engage players of different standards. Activities designed around scales and simple folk songs will cover a variety of areas, including:
- learning by watching and listening
- understanding melody, harmony, and rhythm
- hearing music inside our heads and feeling music inside our bodies
Violin, viola, and cello teachers should bring instruments and be prepared to play. Teachers of other instruments are encouraged to observe and to participate in the non-instrumental activities, mimicking the role of parents in Suzuki group classes. The activities will help everybody
- improve their ability to focus and multi-task
- become more aware of themselves and others without becoming more self-conscious
- laugh very hard
- make lots of mistakes and not worry about it
Teachers who attend all 10 hours may register this Enrichment Course with the Suzuki Association of the Americas.
SAU Teacher Social
Come to our SAU teacher social and dinner. SAU will provide Cafe Rio dinner. All SAU teachers are invited.
Feb. 5, 2015 5:30-7:30 PM
Holladay City Hall (same location as Friday Workshop)
Social is Free to all SAU teachers. Please RSVP when you register or if you are unable to attend the convention but want to come to the social please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Utah Suzuki Convention Costs:
- Parent Convention $10 for SAU members (Non-SAU Members is $40)
- Friday Only Special Workshops (Violin/Viola or Piano) $50
- Saturday Only Convention $30
- Friday and Saturday $80 (Early Bird $65 before Dec. 31)
- Friday Teacher Social and dinner Free
Non SAU Teacher members will have a $30 extra charge added onto their total cost. If you wish to join SAU (only $30 dues) you can do that at our website or by clicking here.